The Town of Oak Ridge, North Carolina, is growing rapidly, in large part due to its convenience to Kernersville, Greensboro, Summerfield, Winston-Salem, and the rest of the Piedmont Triad. Formerly farmland, the area began being developed as affluent residential communities and eventually incorporated as a town in 1998.
Government: Governed by a five-member town council.
Famous Folks from Oak Ridge:
- Chris Daughtry, American Idol
- Kevin Harvick, NASCAR #29
- Oak Ridge Elementary School
- Stokesdale Elementary School
- Northwest Guilford Middle School
- Northwest Guilford High School
- Oak Ridge Military Academy, a private college-preparatory military boarding school, was established as a school in 1852, and became a military school in 1917. Dale Earnhardt, Jr., attended the Academy in the late 1980s. A 1996 graduate, Nancy Mellette, became one of the first female cadets at The Citadel (then all-male) after a high-profile lawsuit against the institution.
Old Mill of Guilford is a fully operational water-powered grist mill that is on the National Register of Historic Places. It was founded on Beaver Creek in what is now Oak Ridge in 1767 to grind grain for Guilford County’s early settlers. It is a popular tourist attraction known for its lovely surroundings and excellent whole-grain products, which are shipped across the country.
- The 68-year-old Oak Ridge Horseshow is typically held every Easter weekend, but it is currently on hold. After the original site of the show became unavailable in 2004, it moved to Summerfield, but show volunteers, participation, and revenues dwindled. In 2013, the sponsoring committee voted to seek a suitable permanent home for the annual show, as well as assess the availability of volunteers and sponsors. If the committee can’t find a suitable site or demonstrate the viability of the show, it will be cancelled, and any remaining funds will be donated to other charitable organizations. (See article at the Northwest Observer)
- Oak Ridge Swim Club, a member-owned, private community pool, 2039 Oak Ridge Rd.
- Fat Cat, Ltd., featuring contemporary craft and fine art, on Hwy. 150 @ Route 68, in Oak Ridge Commons.
- Bill’s Pizza Pub is located at 5200 Randleman Rd.
- Bistro 150, a French-inspired bistro on Hwy. 150 @ Route 68 in Oak Ridge Commons.
If you are reading this, and you live in or visit Oak Ridge frequently, let us know what we've left out. We'd love to hear from you.