If you're new to the Piedmont Triad, you may not realize how many excellent companies are located here. Traditional businesses that built the economies in the cities of Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem still abound in the textile, furniture, banking, and tobacco industries. Over the years, though, many new industries have begun making their mark in the area. Among many other notable developments include the Piedmont Triad Airport becoming quite an aviation hub for existing and new companies, and the Wake Forest Biotechnology Center and a new global nanotechnology campus--Gateway University Research Park--in Greensboro both opening in 2012.
You'll find many employers in the Piedmont Triad, from large companies to small mom-and-pop shops that together make a business community you can be proud of. Here are just a few of the larger companies that have either headquarters or major operations in the area:
- VF Corporation (Greensboro HQ) – international apparel manufacturer with brands like Lee, Wrangler, Nautica, North Face, JanSport, and many others
- Volvo Trucks (North American HQ in Greensboro) – manufacturer of Class 8 trucks and tractors
- RFMD (Greensboro HQ) – global designer and manufacturer of high-performance semiconductor components
- New Breed Logistics (High Point HQ) – logistics and supply chain outsourcing company
- Hanesbrands (Winston-Salem HQ) – manufacturer and marketer of brands like Hanes, Champion, Wonderbra, and other global lines
- Timco Aviation Services (Greensboro) – just acquired by HAECO, creating one of the world’s largest airframe maintenance, repair, and overhaul service providers
- Thomas Built Buses (High Point HQ) – manufacturer of school, childcare, activity, green, and specialty buses
- PPG Industries (Greensboro plant) – produces powder coatings for industrial applications, including auto parts, appliances, and metal furniture
- Unifi (Greensboro HQ) – producer and processor of multi-filament polyester and nylong textured yarns
- LabCorp (Burlington HQ) – laboratory network performing esoteric testing, genomics, and clinical and anatomic pathology
- BB&T (Winston-Salem HQ) – one of the largest financial services holding companies in the U.S.
- Lincoln Financial Group (Greensboro operation) – after merging with Greensboro’s Jefferson Pilot Financial in 2006, Lincoln Financial Group has maintained a sizeable operation in downtown Greensboro
- FedEx (Mid-Atlantic Hub in Greensboro) – opened its hub building in 2009
- HondaJet (Greensboro HQ) – design and manufacture of small personal jets
- Reynolds Tobacco (Winston Salem HQ) – manufacturer of Camel, Pall Mall, Kool, and other cigarette brands
- Lowes Foods (Winston-Salem HQ) – supermarket chain with more than 100 stores in NC, SC, and VA
- BE Aerospace (locations in High Point and Winston-Salem) – global manufacturer of aircraft passenger cabin interior products for commercial and business jets
- Krispy Kreme (Winston-Salem HQ) – doughnuts…need we say more?
- Lexington Home Brands (High Point HQ) – manufacturer and marketer of home furnishings
- Thomasville Furniture (Thomasville HQ) – home furnishings, accessories, and cabinetry manufacturer and distributor
- Burlington Industries (Burlington HQ) – worsted wool, performance synthetics, cotton textile, and apparel solutions for military, medical, and activewear
- Ralph Lauren Corp. (several facilities in Greensboro and High Point) – inventory management, R&D, customer contact center, and more
While this is far from a complete list of excellent larger companies in the Piedmont Triad, these are some of the most common names you'll hear. If you work for a company we haven't listed here, please comment on this post and let us know what you do. In future posts, we'll talk about some of the innovation and entrepreneurship in the area.